Let me make this perfectly clear – I completely love and adore the humble lentil soup. I’ve said it before, and allow me to say again that this soup is my ultimate comfort food. It has been there for me through thick and thin. When I am stressed out, I just whip up a batch of delicious lentil quinoa soup and partake in it until my soul has calmed down and my belly has been warmed by its hearty goodness.
So the other day I had long, weary travelers, and I was craving for a hot, comforting bowl of soup. Of course, lentil soup came into mind! I rummaged through the cupboards, scanned the fridge, and gathered the needed ingredients to cook up a complete pot of tasty soup.
What You Need (Ingredients)
- 1/2 cup of toasted quinoa
- 1 large yellow onion chopped up into bite-sized portions
- A tablespoon of EVOO
- 5 cups vegetable broth or water
- A handful of dried oregano and dried basil
- 2 large carrots sliced into medium portions
- 3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- A cup of chopped mushrooms (any will do)
- 3/4 cup of green/dried brown lentils
- Salt and pepper
1. Prepare a soup pot and turn the stove on to medium heat. Add oil, then add in the chopped onions, along with garlic, chopped carrots, and a good pinch of salt. Saute until the onions are soft and translucent in color.
2. Put in the lentils, the vegetable broth or water, and the herbs, then turn the stove on to high. Let the mixture boil, then turn down the stove to medium-low. Cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for 1 hour. After that, taste the soup and see if you need more salt or pepper according to your preference.
3. When the soup has finished cooking, prepare a skillet and turn the stove to medium heat. Add in the quinoa and toast it to bring the distinct flavor out. Add the toasted quinoa to the soup stock, cover, and let simmer for a good 15 to 20 more minutes. Serve hot.